WHO: The Apostolic Church of Queensland
HOW: Through the dedicated efforts of all involved
WHEN: 2001 - 2004
WHERE: Niemeyer’s Road, Hatton Vale, Queensland - half way between Ipswich and
WHY: This site has been the headquarters of The Apostolic Church of Queensland
for 120 years and continues use as the religious and cultural centre of the
Southern District of the Church. The precinct is used on every Sunday, for all
of the Christian festivals and for many other religious and social functions
throughout each year.
The Hatton Vale Cathedral project was proposed primarily as a means of
accommodating the growing numbers of worshippers but has also addressed the
entire site planning to enhance the arrival experience; to resolve circulation
and to afford greater enjoyment of the entire precinct. Over 2200 worshippers
can now be accommodated with 1105 seats added through this extension.
The success and growth within this religion is attributed to adherence to the
traditions of the Church. The brick Cathedral was designed by the renouned
Karl Langer and completed in 1950 to replace the original 1880's timber
structure. It represents by it’s style, materials, and well maintained fabric,
this ‘tradition’. The extension thereto, though considerably larger in scope and
accommodation, actually enhances and promotes rather than overpowers the
original. This physical expression and the reuse of some demolished bricks at
the main SE Entry embodies the religious teaching of the Church in that the
extension has addressed contemporary needs by modern means without detracting
from the ‘traditional’ original. The new has taken the old and built upon same.
The favoured car parking area is the ‘forest’. A new porte cochere, simply an
extension of the dappled light through a leafy forest canopy links the
forest and other arrival areas with the entry concourse. Passage is thence
through the ‘greeting’ space adjacent the Vestry and central within the concourse, to the
bandstand and grass terrace between Cathedral and Hall.
The Cathedral is now a focus of all activities on the site rather than simply a
place to go for worship.
Building form and function centres on the preaching position - the focus of each
Service. The new interior spaces are of elegant and austere expression to allude
to the simple form and colour of the original interior. Embellishment and
richness of the interior spaces is achieved via the abundance of worshippers
rather than simply by the fabric used.
The project comprises porte cochere; concourse linking all new spaces; two
worship spaces linked to the Altar and physical centre via new openings in the
side walls of the original structure; a large Vestry also serving as a meeting
room; cry rooms; amenities and bandstand.
Enhancement of the religious and cultural significance of the existing cathedral
through the extension project was of prime importance. Based on the increased
visitation by passers by, interest in the completed project by the media and
various suppliers to the building industry, and increased attendance at the
various Church Festivals and gatherings, the project appears to have achieved all goals
and reinforced awareness by the Membership of the intrinsic value of the
Regional Commendation awarded by the Royal
Australian Institute of Architects, 2005
Also awarded at the Royal Australian Institute of Architects State Architecture
HIGH COMMENDATION Public Buildings - Community Building Award
HIGH COMMENDATION Conservation Award
Aneeta Window Systems